Sunday, July 16, 2006

wish I had the free time like the ACLU seems to have...

Reprinted from NewsMax.com
Friday, July 14, 2006 1:58 p.m. EDT
ACLU Doesn’t Want English Signs

The American Civil Liberties Union has asked officials in a Detroit suburb to reject a proposal that would require businesses with foreign language signs to add English translations.
"We write to strongly urge you to abandon the measure as unconstitutional, anti-immigrant and unnecessary," the ACLU wrote to the city Thursday in a letter that was also signed by officials with the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee of Michigan and Latin Americans for Social and Economic Development Inc.
In May, Sterling Heights, Mich., Councilwoman Barbara Ziarko asked the city's attorney to prepare an ordinance requiring businesses with foreign language signs to have identifiers such as "bakery" included, the Detroit News reports.
Fire Chief John Childs supported the move, arguing that people passing by the site of a fire or other emergency could inform dispatchers about the location more easily if they could read the signs.
He maintained that the issue has nothing to do with race.
"This is about response time," he said.
The city issued a statement Thursday defending the proposed ordinance.
"Any assertion that the city's public safety effort is intended as a restriction on the expression of cultural diversity is categorically denied," the statement said.
According to the News, Michael J. Steinberg of the ACLU said the proposal is unconstitutional "because it singles out businesses with signs.”

OK, don't know why I'm doing another 'political' type post but don't these people have anything better to do with their time? How much is Detriot going to spend on this in court? Is there anything wrong with having businesses display their signs in the language of our country too? I'm all for people being proud of their heritage, I know I'm proud to be 25% Spanish, but and those of you on the 'left coast' know, it seems like people are speaking any language BUT English now days. I was blown away when I went home for Christmas (opps, can I still say Christmas with out offending someone??) at how many NON-English radio stations there were. Where did they all go? No clue...but I will tell you this, I'm glad I speak a bit of Spanish because other wise I'd feel like I was in a foreign land instead of the great state of California.

I could go on and on because like the post below, sometimes I really do feel like we're in the Twilight Zone now but I'll spare you the entertainment. I've got nothing against people wanting to come to our coutry to make a better life for themselves - that's what started this country and the diversity is what has kept us great. The problem I have is that we're so worried about not offending anyone that we've started discriminating against anyone that can't claim 'minority' status. What's wrong with saying God when you pledge allegeance to our Flag? 'One nation under God' - your God, my God, correct me if I'm wrong but in very basic terms, doesn't every religion have a God? So what's the problem? Oh yeah...if you don't believe in God, darn it, we don't want to hurt your feelings because then you might have to go eat twinkies and kill people. GRRRRR!

OK, enough rambling in a non-thought-out post. I'm tired of policital correctness and I'm tired of having to see my tax dollars spent on seeing the drivers test printed in 57 languages...I was going to say that all our street signs are in English so that if you want to drive, you should be able to read English but that's not even true...MOST of the signs out there are in English. Not all the police, EMT's and anyone else that just may save your life someday speak 57 languages...maybe if you want to be a contributing part of this coutry you should learn the language. Or else...well if we keep going the way we are, soon us Americans won't be the majority in our own country.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just needed to vent...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just thought you should know we had a whole discussion sparked by you and this post the other night.

And are you suprised to learn that you and I (gasp) AGREE?!!?!

;^D True story! I'm apparently not THAT liberal!

Anonymous said...

If you have a site meter you can tell I keep coming back here - I've been trying to formulate a response but... It's been a long and stressful couple of weeks!

Goat said...

Tiff, I'm glad that this post sparked some debate and I hope that everyone had different opinions and that even if a consensus wasn't reached, everyone still had fun together. THAT is what our political system SHOULD be like.

I will say one more thing, you are not bound by labels like 'liberal' or 'conservative' - yes most of my views lean into the conservative area but by no means do I agree with everything. Just as I'm sure that you don't agree with the ideas some of the hard-core liberals try and inflict on us. You are Tiffany, complete with your own views and thoughts on things and that is what I respect. I really dislike those involved in the Rainbow Coalition because they are pushing diversity in the wrong way - I'm all for diversity, it's the only way to keep our country great, but don't ram it down my throat with quotas and discrimination - reverse or any other type. The immigrants that settled this country fought wars defending this land from those that wanted to oppress us and earned each and every penny to make a better place for themselves and their families - why should those that come here now expect hand outs? Why should our own citizens expect hand outs? I don't. You don't. Why should they? I've quoted JFK before about asking what you can do for your country, I have never heard a more true statement and wish that everyone in our country would live by it. Where are the Democrats like him?

Every single person in this country plays a part, we all need to take responsibility for our own actions and then watch how fast things get better for everyone. I'm tired of hearing people blame Bush for everything - it's always easier to point fingers at someone else rather than do something to help the situation. The more the US shows a unified front to everyone, the more they'll back us in things that are important to this fragile world we live on. Divided front at home...who's going to back that? I know I sure wouldn't... But hey, fighting Bush is popular and makes for good TV so lets all do that. Here's Mr. Dean showing his foot-n-mouth problem again.
(http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=5583)

Enough rambling on my own blog... :P

I know all about stress Tiff, I'm going through it too but at least I know I'm going to Vegas next week for 10 days!!! :) I hope things get better for you, I miss your blogging!!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet! 10 days in Vegas??? Ryan and I are heading out for 9 days in Oregon (WITHOUT the family drama this time) next week too.

The conversation was good - based mainly around how people seem to have this sense of entitlement like just because they are here they are entitled to be given things. Free food, free government subsidies and without so much as having to learn the language??

Name any other country where you could travel to (outside of a touristy location) and expect to get by without at least a passing knowledge of the local language?

There was also some discussion of how we got the label of the "arrogant American" and such... Really good times. Doesn't everyone enjoy these conversations over dinner?!?!

:)

Anonymous said...

oh and I posted another "not real" post with some Maui pics...