Saturday, January 24, 2009

Childish.

OK, we all know politics can make for some heated discussions, especially over the last ten years or so but more and more I'm seeing people behave in ways that just isn't beneficial to anyone. Now that I'm on the west coast or as I have frequently referred to it as the Left Coast I've been trolling a dating site or two just to see what's out there and have been shocked at how immature some people are. When I open up a profile to try and learn a little more about someone I might be interested in and see remarks like "Bush EWWWW" or Republicans not welcome or some form of blatant discrimination based solely on a persons political feelings I really wonder how pitiful the lives of those individuals must be. One of the ideals that goes back to the birth of this nation was freedom of speech and religion, true we don't always live up to that as well as we could but still, to out of hand dismiss someone simply because he may have different thoughts about something than you boggles my mind. Yes I disagree with a lot that Democrats believe in but you know what, I've got friends that are Democrats and feel pretty strongly about it and yet, they're still my friends. I enjoy it when we can talk politics and while I might not agree, I still respect their opinions. It saddens me that I don't see that respect being returned much from people outside of my friends and family. Why is that? How are we ever supposed to work together for the better of our society when so many are so narrow minded? Yes it's on both sides of the aisle, but I am only commenting on what I see personally.

The point of this is the whole dating thing, how many potentially awesome partners are these people missing out on just because they're too ignorant to accept the idea that someone may have a different point of view. Bush ewwww....that's the behavior I remember from third grade, when will these people grow up? And if they discriminate against someone for political beliefs, what else do they discriminate against....

Respect....it'd be nice to see more of it all around.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is really, really sad actually. But would you really want to date a woman whose entire vocabulary could only come up with "Bush Eww..."? I'm just saying is all. I could come up with a far wittier phrase if needed. :D

Also - who knew I was a secret video game geek at heart?? (Nevermind the only thing I understood of that whole "woot" definition was the Dungeons and Dragons part... heh.)

Goat said...

Oh I'm sure you could come with a very articulate way of expressing your thoughts about President Bush Tiff! :)