Sunday, February 01, 2009

Doorbells and dog parks...

I'm sure there are other sites just like this one but it's the first one I've come across so you all get the link. First off, yes there seem to be a lot of good 'infrastructure' type projects listed in this that would put a lot of construction workers to work - new things being built, old things being fixed...over all not a bad idea. My only question about this and it isn't related to the Stimulus Package but more towards people in general - construction work is hard labor, I just don't see a lot of unemployed people running out there to find those type jobs. There is a reason construction workers get paid a lot, they earn it in sweat. So my feeling is that yes a lot of good projects will be started, not a whole lot of new jobs.

Now some of the more 'not appropriate' ones I saw in a quick scan were for doorbells and a 500K dog park. Everyone knows I love dogs, I think having dog parks in the local communities is an awesome thing and I'd like to see more of them everywhere. My gripe, what's a 500K dog park going to look like? Will there be a chilled pool for the doggies to splash around in? I don't know what all is involved but since it's for the construction of said park and dog parks usually don't require a lot of construction beyond a fence and maybe some benches...call me Scrooge but I don't see jobs being created and I don't think it belongs in this package. Oh and it's not the only dog park listed... My thoughts are that things like this should be funded by the local communities, through volunteer projects and donations...not by federal tax dollars. Yes I know communities are broke all over but instead of taking from others, maybe the local politicians should look at their budget and figure out where they went wrong. Wealth redistribution is not a fix for our financial woes, yes those that are on the receiving end will be happy for a short while but in the long run, it hurts things more than it helps as those that had the wealth find other places to go that allow them to determine their own uses for what they earned.

Anyways, check out the site, see what's being proposed for your area and also look around elsewhere and see if there is anything that you'd question it's place in a bill being shoved down our throats.

No comments: