Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Video killed the radio...

So as I was posting a link in response to a friend's post I happened to see a video for a song that brought back a lot of memories.


I'm sure some of you have heard about Dr. Demento but how many of you remember listening to him every week on the radio. I do. Every Sunday after I had supposedly gone to bed I'd have my radio tuned in to hear what crazy stuff he had come up with and then joke about it at school the next day. There were lots of other programs on the radio too, The War of the Worlds is one that is so much better hearing it like it was intended versus the made for tv copies that have come out over the years. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is another that I enjoyed listening to. Around Halloween tales from Edgar Allan Poe and others were guaranteed to make you jump at strange noises... All things that while I'm sure still exist on either radio or satellite broadcast somewhere but have a much smaller audience, I think that is unfortunate.

TV and the internet have really changed how our imagination is formed as we're growing up and I'm not so sure that we're better off for it.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Okay I was going to ask how on earth you got the you tube video to post on your blog cause I've been trying to do that for days but I got distracted by the family guy clip at the bottom of the page so... I forget.

BigBef said...

ok wait....you like Dr. Demento, but you don't like Weird Al?